Smart meters are devices that are installed by gas and electric utilities in international homes and apartments. The meter sends a usage report through a wireless system to mobile telephones. There is no doubt that these nifty devices are beneficial, both for the utility and the user. It is a smart meter, and there is a rapidly growing movement opposing these meters installation as well. They fear safety, health and privacy. Do you wonder if smart meters are safe? Sort through the claims about the dangers of smart meter? You should know regarding the associated potential risks in these meters and the way they might affect your privacy and health.
What is a Smart Meter?
A Smart Meter is a meter type known as AMR or AMI. It is designed to eliminate meter readers. It is an expensive wireless machinery piece sending information about the use of energy at different times to your utility company. It relays data about the energy used in your building. These meter makers say that they will be utilised to show consumers the power they use during day time and that it will help them comprehend their energy use for the better. However, opponents consider there are risks involved.
Smart Meter Dangers Relating to Health
There are many health problems related to smart meters. It is all about their electromagnetic fields. The EMFs are a lot in the news, and there is sufficient evidence about the health risks surrounding cell phone radiation, microwaves radiation, WiFi and so on.
Already some of these are causing health conditions owing to EMF exposure such as:
- Increase in blood pressure and heart palpitations
- Memory issues, concentration or learning problems
- Ringing Ears
- Flu-like symptoms
- Anxiety or inexplicable fatigue
- Blood- sugar dangerous levels increases
- Buzzing in the ears and shooting pains across the body
Scientists have proved that the emitted electromagnetic frequencies by smart meters:
- Disturb the blood-brain barrier resulting in diseases such as Parkinson’s and dementia
- Disrupts cell reproduction and also damages DNA, causing rapid aging and cancer
- Interrupting nerve transmission, heart palpitations, insomnia, and muscle pain
- Upsets redox balance via nitrosative stress.
A smart meter is worth a lot of money. Companies get to know your buying habits, more, and your email address. Technically, the Smart Meter could track what TV shows and all that you watch, the food you eat, whether your refrigerator is “Smart” technology equipped, and so on.
These are the privacy concerns with Smart Meters that they will result in:
- Determining of behaviour patterns
- Identity theft
- Assessing the use of specific appliances
- Real-time surveillance is performed
- Provides accidental invasions
- Targets home invasions
- Unwanted embarrassment and publicity
- Behaviour tracking of leasers or renters
Yes, there is no doubt the modern conveniences can be of real help with some things, but trading freedom for comfort is not agreed upon by some. A smart meter is liked by some and despised by some. However, the truth of the meter is that it is an advancement in technology that is possibly energy saving but at a cost. The price of which is subjective.